Which desserts are popular with your family during the holidays? Chocolate pie, pumpkin pie, sugar cookies, fudge? No one ever said they didn’t taste good, but sometimes it’s good to mix up the traditional.
If you’ve never made peppermint bark for a Christmas dessert, you’re missing out. Make it for a party treat or wrap some up in a holiday tin to bring to work or give to a friend or family member.
Photo by Lori L. Stalteri
Feeling brave? Here’s the recipe!
- 1 bag dark chocolate chips
- 1 bag white chocolate chips
- 8 peppermint candy canes
1. Place as many candy canes as you can fit into a plastic ziplock bag, seal it up tight, and use a rolling pin to crush them into the size you want.
2. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. Melt the dark chocolate. Once it’s melted, pour it onto the cookie sheet and spread it around as even as you can get it. Don’t worry if the chocolate doesn’t reach all sides of the sheet – it’ll be broken up later! Place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator so it has a chance to harden up a bit.
4. Melt the white chocolate and stir in about ¾ of the crushed candy cane.
5. Take out the tray from the refrigerator and pour the white chocolate on top of the dark chocolate. Then sprinkle the rest of the candy cane pieces on top. Place the tray back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
6. After the time is up, check the chocolate. It should be pretty firm by now so you can take it out and start breaking it up into bite-size pieces.
If you’re not a candy cane fan, there are some other variations you can try, including using crushed walnuts, sprinkles, cranberries, or even pretzels.