How many times a week do you see the kids mope around the house complaining they’re bored? In case you’re running out of ideas for them, the next time it happens, toss one of these suggestions their way. They’ll keep busy enough that you can prepare dinner, get some office work done, etc!
1. Make crayon art.
2. Blow up a bunch of balloons and see how many you can keep in the air at one time.
3. Write a short story complete with pictures.
4. Make a card for a family member. Let them put the card in an envelope, write the address, and place the stamp on.
5. Make Play-doh with this easy-to-follow recipe.
Photo by Mike Allyn
6. Lie on a blanket in the backyard and cloud-watch or stargaze.
7. Make a leaf rubbing for a refrigerator decoration.
8. Use shaving cream to finger paint on colored construction paper or paper bags.
9. Go outside, collect a bunch of rocks, and decorate them with paint, googly eyes, glitter, etc.
10. Design their own placemats.
11. Make a blanket fort.
12. Make sock puppets and have a puppet show.
13. Have a living room dance party. See who can dance the longest.
14. Create a treasure hunt. Pick a few objects and hide them around the house in hard-to-find places. Take turns being the treasure hunter.
15. Make an indoor clubhouse using big cardboard boxes. Decorate it with crayons, paint, glitter, feathers, etc.
16. Make animal masks.
17. Use a video camera to make a movie starring action figures and stuffed animals, or even themselves.
18. Draw on the sidewalk with chalk.
19. Make a kaleidoscope.
20. Make a salted watercolor picture. This is cool for any age!
21. Help plan the week’s dinner menu.
22. Build a Lego castle.
23. Make jewelry or keychains.
24. Bake Christmas cookies using cookie cutters, frosting, and candy pieces.
25. Experiment with new ways to style your hair.